Panic gripped patients and their attendants after a fire broke out in Apollo Hospital in Odisha’s Bhubaneswar on Saturday. However, no casualties were reported.
According to sources, some attendants noticed thick smoke billowing out of a room on the fifth floor of the hospital. They informed the hospital authorities.
Following information, two fire brigades rushed to the spot and doused the flames. The fire broke out in the battery room of the hospital, said hospital authorities.
However, the exact reason behind the fire is yet to be ascertained.
Most of the patients, particularly those admitted in the intensive care units (ICUs) were immediately evacuated. Some of the patients have been shifted to other hospitals in the city.
Sudhir M. Diggikar, Regional Chief Executive Officer of Apollo Hospitals informed that nearly 15 patients have been shifted to other hospitals in the city after the electricity supply to the hospital was immediately snapped following detection of smoke.
“All the patients have been shifted from the fifth floor. Window glasses were broken to disperse the smoke. No patient has been affected due to the smoke,” said Police Commissioner Satyajit Mohanty.
He said the police will examine whether the hospital authorities conduct regular fire audit.
Director General of Fire Services Bijay Kumar Sharma said an inquiry has been ordered into the incident.
“Cause of the fire, availability/functioning of fire fighting measures, evacuation and housekeeping will be looked into. In case of a lapse, action as per rules will be taken,” tweeted Sharma.