Tamil Nadu Government withdraws cases against Lock down violators, Anti-CAA protestors While addressing a large gathering in Kadayanallur, Tenkasi district, Chief
Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami said “cases registered against those who had protested against the Citizenship (Amendment) Act, 2019, last year would not be pursued any further. However, the cases filed for major offences would not be dropped, keeping in mind the well being of a common man”.
Mr. Palaniswami said around 1,500 cases had been registered against the anti-CAA protesters. “Among these, cases filed for major offences would not be dropped”.
He said, cases registered against members of the public on the charge of violating the COVID-19 lockdown rules would not be pursued. over 10 lakh people were charged for violating orders issued under the Tamil Nadu Public Health Act, 1939, and the Epidemic Act, 1937, to enforce the COVID-19 lockdown since March 25 last year and for allegedly spreading rumours about the pandemic. The relief would not be applicable to the cases registered for specific offences such as illegally obtaining and misusing e-passes and prevention of policemen from discharging their duty. He said, the coordinator of the People’s Movement Against Nuclear Energy, S.P. Udhayakumar, and others submitted a memorandum to him on Thursday night, seeking withdrawal of all the cases registered against those who had protested against the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project. The Chief Minister assured the petitioners that he would look into their appeal and discuss the issue with the Director-General of Police.
Written by: Ayesha Siddiqua